Saturday, July 9, 2011

10 Suggestions to Help Sell Your Home

Decor Pad - home exterior
An Attractive Home Exterior -  Decor Pad
 
As a professional home stager, I’ve staged many homes here in Jacksonville, Florida.  Many of my friends ask me what  my top 10 suggestions are  for selling a home quickly and for top dollar. I thought I'd share with you what I 've told them.

1. Make sure the exterior of your home is attractive.  Buyers know within 15 seconds of seeing your house if it’s a place they’d consider  a home.  Is your front exterior welcoming?  Is the paint color attractive?  Does the front door have a complementary color and is the door hardware in new or like-new condition?  Are your landscaping beds  mulched?  Do you have attractive flowers outside to add color?  Has the clutter been removed from  walkways or driveways? Are your shrubs and lawn in good condition and well-manicured?  First impressions count! 


Fenf Shui pics 001
A Welcoming Front Door



Fenf Shui pics 002
Freshly Mulched Landscaped Beds with Colorful Flowers
2.  Paint colors in your home will be one of the first things buyers notice as they enter.  Will your paint colors appeal to a wide range of buyers? Is there a harmonious flow of color throughout your home?  It’s best if the exterior  paint colors transition nicely  into the interior .
3.  Clean and declutter your home. If you have a lot of clutter,  donate what you don’t need to a thrift shop and rent a storage unit for anything that you wish to keep.  It will be well worth the money spent.  A cluttered home reduces the spaciousness of a home.  I always tell my clients to remove 50% of what is in their closets and have nothing on the closet floors.
4. When decorating bookshelves, tables,mantles, or walls, think less but bigger.  Remove all personal pictures so buyers aren’t looking at your Aunt Emma instead of your fabulous floor plan! Group accessories in odd numbers and mix in glass, wood, ceramic, metal, and rattan for an appealing look.



Palm Desert Aug 2010 090
Notice the Different Shapes, Textures and the Addition of Greenery on This  Dresser



Palm Desert Aug 2010 041
Larger Artwork and an Odd Number of Accessories


5. Have your home staged before your listing pictures are taken.  According to  Active Rain, a real estate blog and marketing site, 94% of people research their home purchase on-line before contacting a realtor and 75% buy a home they originally found on the Internet – it’s like an Internet dating game. Buyers know what they want and if they see beautiful pictures of what they're imagining their next home to be, they’ll be sure to view that home.
6. If you have to move before you sell your home, schedule two moves and leave some of your furnishings in the home you are selling. It’s really not that much more expensive to do.   According to Home Staging Resource, only 10% of buyers can visualize their furnishings in a vacant home.
7.  Hire a professional home stager to prepare your home for sale. Most home sellers cannot view their homes objectively.  A home stager knows how to create the atmosphere needed to form an emotional connection with a buyer.  They know the demographics of your neighborhood and who might likely purchase your home.  If you’d prefer to stage it yourself, they can also provide you with a staging report informing you about what changes need to be made.
8. Make sure your home is not outdated.  If your paint colors, wall coverings, appliances, flooring, cabinetry and appliances don’t reflect life in the 21st century, update them.  That means get rid of that harvest gold refrigerator from the 70’s or that mauve carpeting from the 80’s!

Bad Colors
Outdated Paint Scheme  Which Won't Appeal to Buyers


9.  Have a home inspection done to identify any major structural, electrical, or plumbing, etc. problems that might exist so there are no surprises. I’ve  seen a few deals go “down the drain” due to surprises resulting from the buyers’ home inspections.  Have any major problems addressed by a professional contractor if necessary.    
10. Hire a proactive realtor who will a.) correctly price your home based upon a competitive market analysis of your neighborhood; b.) market your home aggressively to attract buyers to view it; c) keep you informed of the feedback that is being received from buyers viewing your home.

Are you selling your home?  Would you like a copy of my report entitled 5 Secrets You Should Keep from  Buyers When Selling Your Home?  If so, follow my blog publicly and leave a comment  on this blog post that you did so.  Include your e-mail address and I will forward the report to you.

21 comments:

Nekky said...

Very nice easy to follow tips. Professionally written. Visiting from Supporters Squad.

Jan said...

I love your site! I will be visiting often! Thanks for following my blog also!

Mary said...

Nekky and Jan,

Thanks for your comments and for following me. Am trying to get a Home Improvement group started on Blogaholics Social site. Watch for it!

Naomie said...

Good info, thanks! Following from BSN.
http://kidsanddeals.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Thanks, Naomie. Just followed your site and sent it to my daughter-in-law and her friend.

asiadeli said...

Hi Mary,thanks for following my blog. I'm following you back.

Melissa said...

Hi, I saw you at blogaholic. I'm your newest follower! Please come by mine: http://www.meldreamsoften.com

Mary said...

Thanks, Melissa. Will go over to your site and follow you, also.

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by! Happily following you back! Several of my good friends are in the selling process. I'll be sure to recommend your site! :) ~Sarah http://whereeverafter.blogspot.com

Nissa said...

Wonderful blog, full of information, I'm a new follower.
Nissa
http://versatilejewelry.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Thanks, Nissa, for your comments. I try to fully research my topics before presenting them here. Glad you are a follower. Will follow you, too!

Mary said...

Sarah,

Isn't BSN a wonderful site? Thanks for your comments and trying to connect me with your friends. I so appreciate it.

Kay M said...

Dropping by to follow you back! (BSN) Thanks for the follow!

Mary said...

Thanks, Kay!

Jill said...

Some great tips there!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm returning the favour now and following you back!
Hope you have a lovely week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jenn said...

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for following my blog and commenting on "Destructive Little Devils!" I've been on vacation so I'm just now getting back to everyone who commented.

I love your site! I'm pretty bad at knowing how to decorate a home, although through trial and error I have figured out what paint colors look terrible in a bathroom! LOL Looks like you've got some great tips here!

Anyway, I'm following you now! Have a wonderful weekend!

Smiles, Jenn
www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

sell your house privately said...

It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for the info.

sell your house privately

Mary said...

Thanks for the compliment. I hope you visit often since I will be writing more articles about home staging and what a great marketing tool it is to sell a home.

hamptons real estate said...

I am regular follower of your blog and I really like your post as they are very informative. This post suggests 10 tips to help you sell your home. Many people face difficulty in selling their home for them these tips are very useful. Some pictures are very beautiful and I really like the view. Thanks.

Multiple Listing Service Florida said...

Hi Dude,

When the time comes to sell your home, everyone hopes for a fast sale. If your house lingers on the market, you may lose the dream home you want to buy or end up paying two mortgages. For a quick sale, make your home appealing to potential buyers without sacrificing too much on your end of the sale. Thanks.....

Mary Habres said...

Thanks for your comment. Good presentation is so important in getting your home to sell so that you can move on with your life. Home staging can be an effective marketing tool in getting your home sold faster so you can realize your dreams. It makes good "cents" and may be a tax deductible expense when selling a home.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...